Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Great Pretender

Just now I saw Jonah take my iPhone and put it up to his ear. It's the second time he has initiated any pretend play, the first being the sunglasses he likes to put on his face. The great thing about this is that we hadn't yet introduced the telephone into our play routine so he's picked that up all by himself.

To say I am thrilled is an understatement. He'd had such odd day today. We played a lot but he walked off and left me more than he usually does. He was zoning out a lot more and didn't smile as much as usual so to see this spontaneous attempt at pretend play was amazing. And not only did he do it once, he did it twice. A few seconds later he did it again so I know it was deliberate. Gosh I wish I had a jumping up and down cheering emoticon on here!

Jonah also met his new therapist today. Her name is Lea and she is a friend of mine. She has known Jonah since he was born but only as a friend of Mummy's. She is coming over tomorrow so he can get used to her and then she is coming over on Tuesday to watch us in action with the aim of doing some one on one play therapy with Jonah.

School for the other boys goes back tomorrow and I must say I am glad. Not because I don't want them around but because Jonah's therapy is very time consuming and I feel so bad that they are left out. I make sure I include them where ever possible but sometimes they can hinder the therapy. It's hard to balance them all but I think we are doing ok. Once they are back at school there will be less disruptions for Jonah too. Things like television and other people talking are distracting for him so without his brothers around he will hopefully concentrate even more.

He's going forward in leaps and bounds but we still have so far to go. We have to teach him everything that other children learn just by observing others. Jonah needs to be taught every step that others learn so easily. Sometimes it feel so daunting but I know just to take each day one at a time and eventually we will get there.

2 comments:

  1. That is wonderful about the phone Donna :) it sounds like you have a good plan in place with Jonah and that it's working. You're doing such a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More good news. Must be hard juggling all and not feeling like you are leaving the others out. Please don't be too hard on yourself. You are a great Mum and sometimes you need to put the needs of one above the others, and if you are aware of it, as you are, then you will make sure that they get their time too. Hugs from Perth xxx

    ReplyDelete